Saturday, October 29, 2011

Here's to the spouse of us runners



WARNING: The following blog post contains content that might be considered romantic and/or mushy in nature. Viewer discretion is advised.
On Oct 25th, it was National Married-to-a-Runner Appreciation Day!

I do in fact love and appreciate my wife. You know the story, you leave your spouse, kiss them and tell them that you love them and off you go while they roll over and go back to sleep. I just came back from and 2 hour 45 minute run and dropped my pile of sweaty clothes in front of the washer. She just smiles and asks me what I want for brunch and makes it while I shower.

Any runner knows that the schedule of us crazy folks that train 3 to 5 times a week running is hard. Those of us that have a spouse that supports us in our endeavours are so VERY lucky. My wife worries… it’s her job. I have a cell phone with me when I run.  Not only that, I turned on the GPS so she can track me. I don’t blame her. The media make BIG news when someone dies during any marathon race. Even though, we runners know that the real odds are slim that it will be us being carted to the hospital if we train correctly, our spouses worry.  
How many times have you planned a family vacation around a race? This will be my second such vacation. In July, I dragged her with 3 of my friends on a 7 hour drive for a 56 km race. (ONLY  56 I said to her… turned out to be 56 km TRAIL race ) 9 and a half HOURS later, she has the WORST sunburn even though we had a tent for her and all that. The “joys” she has of being a redhead. I put on the after burn treatment as often as I could.  In November, I’ll be doing my 3rd marathon this year. She’ll be there standing patiently waiting for 4 to 5 hours while I run around the city of Tulsa Oklahoma. I love her dedication.
It’s not too late to tell your spouse that you love them. Do something special… get some flowers… make supper… or even write a blog post!
 I love you Julie!  Thank you for suffering with me each kilometer I go running.  Thank you for doing that extra load of laundry with my running clothes. Thank you for warming my frozen body parts after a run in below freezing weather. But most of all, thank you for being you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment